Study: 63% of demonstrators during in the Egyptian Revolution Used the internet as the only news source
It’s arguably proven that the internet had played the most important role as a tool that led to the successful revolution in Egypt, eMarketing Egypt made a study to explore how Egyptians dealt with the internet during the revolution.
Ossama El-Badawy, the Online Competitive Intelligence Manager, stated that it is obvious that the internet in Egypt witnessed a dramatic growth after the revolution; the following figures just give a quick view for the current interment status in Egypt:
- 23+ million Internet users,
- 7.7+ million Facebook users,
- And 100%+ Twitter users growth during recent months
The survey was dedicated to explore in details the way Egyptians dealt with the internet during the revolution, the main findings can be listed as below:
- 28% of internet users purely relied on the Internet to stay tuned with the revolution news and updates - This percentage goes up to 63% among those who participated in the demonstrations - The Internet had solely shaped the views of 17% of users regarding the recent events - As expected, Facebook had been the prime tool used to tie up with events and news as mentioned be 71% of users
- Finally, 45% of users will increase their reliance on the Internet to tie up with coming news and events
I hope more Arab tyrants are toppled soon.