Confirmed: Google Gmail Free SMS Chat is Also Enabled to Ghana and “Israel”

11 Mar, 2010

As we update the news about Google offering Palestine free SMS chat via gmail with info from a trusted source that Google also offers this feature to the African country Ghana and “Israel”, Google spokesman just confirmed officially that update, here is the list of mobile operators list of operators Google Free SMS chat currently support:

• Ghana: MTN, Zain, Tigo, Kasapa.
  • Israel: Pelephone and Orange.
  • Palestinian Territories: Jawwal.
  • United States: All operators.

It is worth mentioning that in Palestine and Arab countries the person who sends the SMS is the one who gets charged unlike USA where the receiver (update: and the sender ) hold the burden.

Google spokesman commented on the subject by saying:

“SMS in Gmail Chat is a feature that allows Gmail users to send SMS messages to their contacts? mobile phones using Gmail Chat. We believe SMS in Gmail Chat bridges online and mobile communications, bringing a new level of flexibility and mobility to Gmail Chat. We hope to extend this to additional countries and additional carriers in the future, but have nothing to announce at this time.”

Google’s CEO Eric Emerson Schmidt is present right now in United Arab Emirates where he attended Abu Dhabi Media Summit.

Welcome Eric 🙂

1. Gaith  |  March 11th, 2010 at 3:21 PM #

I received few complaints that I use ” ” for Israel, I just would like to say ArabCrunch has no political views and we do our best to stay away from politics. As for me I only put “Israel” between ” ” to note that this is a area of conflict nothing more, i am not against anyone.

2. Nina  |  March 11th, 2010 at 3:27 PM #

Gaith, why do you say that in the USA the receiver bears the burden of sending a text? This is simply not true for most US plans- the sender is charged and SMS receipt is free. Unless one has a pay-as-you-go plan.

3. Gaith  |  March 11th, 2010 at 3:45 PM #

Nina thanx, I know that the person who gets SMS is the one who pays in US, this was the case i do not know if it changed now and I am investigating that matter as we speak

4. Al  |  March 11th, 2010 at 3:58 PM #

Totally agree with the usage. Might as well use it for “humanity” :), but yes indeed, after borders are set for “Israel”, take out the quotation marks.

5. Kerry Akwetey  |  March 11th, 2010 at 3:58 PM #

Is there any condition attached it? For instance, do I have to register? I tried sending SMS to a phone(zain network) here in Ghana and the SMS has never being delivered. What might be the problem?

6. Kerry Akwetey  |  March 11th, 2010 at 4:09 PM #

Is there any condition attached to it? For instance, do I have to register?I tried sending SMS to a phone on zain network here in Ghana and the SMS has never been delivered? What might be the problem?

7. Kerry Akwetey  |  March 11th, 2010 at 4:17 PM #

Thanks Gaith. I followed the same procedure on that link and is was the feedback I have being receiving:
    “Your message was not delivered. 0268550130 cannot be verified at this time as a valid mobile number. Please check the number or try again later”.I there any way out?

8. Kerry Akwetey  |  March 11th, 2010 at 4:40 PM #

THANKS, GAITH

9. Gaith Saqer  |  March 11th, 2010 at 6:16 PM #

Welcome Kerry,

I am sorry I never tried this service as i live in jordan i encourage you to post your problem at the support forum here http://groups.google.com/group/gmail-labs-help-text-messaging
    and one of google guys might help you!
    Thanks 🙂

10. Gaith Saqer  |  March 11th, 2010 at 6:17 PM #

@Nina a couple of my frnds in USa confirmed to me that the sender and the receiver pay for SMS i updated the post.

Thanks,

11. Vicki  |  March 11th, 2010 at 8:09 PM #

While I usually enjoy your coverage, I am a bit disappointed to see you use Israel in quotation marks. It is not the country Israel itself that is contested but the West Bank and Gaza; Israel is an internationally-recognized existing nation, West Bank and Gaza, which are outside of Israel’s borders are the areas under question. Why not put “Yemen” or “Iraq” in quotation marks then-they are definite areas of conflict?

12. Ahmad  |  March 12th, 2010 at 1:40 AM #

I think it is ok to use ” ” around Israel as it is not an ordinary country, it is the only country that has no borders, and has no plans to set borders because it wants more than just Westbank and Gaza. Anyway, I tried sending a text to my cellphone and it worked. Thanks Google!

13. Waseem  |  March 12th, 2010 at 10:51 AM #

I really don’t understand why Vicki and Nina are disappointed , Israel should always be inside quotation marks . a simple fact must be accepted by both of you .

14. “Israel,” “the Palestinian Territories,” Ghana, and Gmail SMS | israeltech blog  |  March 13th, 2010 at 10:46 PM #

[…] though, someone always has to throw politics into the works. One of the few blog posts I found was here, where the author referred to “Israel” as being one of the places where Gmail SMS is being […]

15. Nina  |  March 14th, 2010 at 10:07 AM #

@Waseem- please don’t randomly implicate me in your comment about Israel. I posted a comment that Gaith’s reporting was incorrect with regards to his claim that only the receiver of a text pays for SMS in the US. He is right that both the receiver and the sender pay. I never said anything about the use nor effectiveness as social protest of quotation marks around Israel.

16. Ant  |  March 15th, 2010 at 3:19 AM #

Gaith i cant see anything wrong with wahat you said,hust people looking to be confrontatious….unless i am missing the point.

17. florinajacob  |  April 1st, 2010 at 12:38 PM #

hi..try out the new smsjive.com for sending unlimited sms to any part of the world for absolutely free! m loving it !!

18. Ariel Sharon  |  May 9th, 2010 at 9:34 PM #

“ISRAEL” IN QUOTATION MARKS because it is the BOSS in the Middle East, the Country that Owns the whole of Palestine and now is getting rid of any infectious desease sending them to Jordan, after the job is finished “Israel” will change Jordan’s name to Palestine, close the border and join the EU and everybody will be happy again!!

19. Vipul Agarwl  |  July 22nd, 2010 at 10:39 AM #

Hey I just found a amazing website regarding e-books about various articles like How to earn with adsense? weight loss and many more. And you can download all these E-books for Free..
    htttp://www.ebookswebtools.com