Facebook Blocking Jordan OR A Technical Problem?

20 Aug, 2009

Update: below
facebook-jordan-block

Since yesterday,  several people in Jordan were not able to access facebook. Some people thought that Orange the main ISP in Jordan, the second mobile operator and the only landline service provider in the country, is behind the blocking. A senior executive in Orange confirmed to ArabCrunch that accessing facebook is a problem that many are facing in Jordan. However he refuted any claims that Orange is doing the blocking, he also said there are no technical problems from Orange side; it might be something from facebook side.

Other facebook users using other ISPs in Jordan also complained to ArabCrunch they cannot access facebook.
Yet, according to several users ArabCrunch got in touch with, facebook is still accessible  in Jordan via Mobile apps in Nokia S60 devices and iPhone.

It is worth mentioning that Facebook along with Twitter faced massive DoSS attacks lately.

If you have a problem accessing facebook, please let us know via a comment.

Update:

I have tested yesterday facebook using Kulacom (WIMAX) and Zain (4G) and it worked fine, the problem seems from Orange. however the service seems back now for Orange customers, I do not know if it was a technical problem from  Orange or from Facebook.
facebook Jordan using Kulacom

1. dev3k  |  August 20th, 2009 at 12:07 PM #

works fine with zain

2. mohammad  |  August 20th, 2009 at 3:09 PM #

Weird! i didn’t notice that, it was fully-functional with me yesterday

3. ArabCrunch  |  August 20th, 2009 at 12:10 PM #

Zain via your mobile or Zain eGo?

4. ush  |  August 20th, 2009 at 12:29 PM #

doesn't work at all since yesterday :(

5. dev3k  |  August 20th, 2009 at 12:50 PM #

via ADSL

6. adib  |  August 20th, 2009 at 12:51 PM #

i dont think its blocked, i can access it from my laptop but not my pcs, weird huh? anyways, you can use those proxy sites to reach it, try this: http://www.unblockbook.net

7. Yazid Ajaleh  |  August 20th, 2009 at 12:53 PM #

its not working for me too :S
    and i was having this problem since yesterday…
    but its working on mobile and my itouch…
    and it worked today from 12 pm to 3 pm

8. Yazid Ajaleh  |  August 20th, 2009 at 1:24 PM #

oh and i forgot to say … Great website… u're the only ones that wrote about this thing and i was searching Google since the morning and couldnt find anything :) thanks for sharing these news :)

9. Michael Haddad  |  August 20th, 2009 at 1:43 PM #

people it's still unaccessible …
    but i found a way to login and see whatever you want
    open http://apps.facebook.com/home.php
    and whenever you want to see a comment or a photo
    instead of opening the link , copy it to the address bar and replace "http://www.facebook…." with "http://apps.facebook….."
    it works for everything :)
    keep doing that until the problem is solved

10. Hussain  |  August 20th, 2009 at 1:53 PM #

MICHAEL HADDAD.. UR A GENIOUS!!
    haha.. if i was a girl, i'd kiss u :D
    loooooooool
    thanks mate

11. Saad  |  August 20th, 2009 at 2:12 PM #

It's not working with me either since yesterday I tried opening it on my pc and laptop but it still refuses to open :S

12. MBamieh  |  August 20th, 2009 at 3:18 PM #

its not working for alot of people around the world not just jordan … check this out http://blog.downrightnow.com/2009/08/facebook-dow… and it seems to be random

13. Hadeel  |  August 20th, 2009 at 4:29 PM #

I say that orange is just covering up for itself , I'm 100% orange is behind this.
    it's not that facebook is blocking Jordan or any other country, it's orange blocking us from accessing it, & of course they would say such a thing, that they don't have anything to do with it so they won't lose their customers, because us "customers" will start wondering if they blocked facebook now, what else they will block later on.
    Some says it's a government order, but now that is kind of happening in other countries i doubt it.
    Just type apps.facebook.com instead of facebook.com It works :D

14. HAMZAH  |  August 20th, 2009 at 5:39 PM #

works fine with CULACOM

15. MEZOO  |  August 20th, 2009 at 5:43 PM #

works fine with KULACOM

16. Ali  |  August 20th, 2009 at 11:53 PM #

Called ORANGE today and they told me that the problem isn't from them, They told me that it's from facebook and that they contacted them, It working fine with me now, I guess the problem is over.

17. ArabCrunch  |  August 20th, 2009 at 11:59 PM #

thanx everyone for commenting and letting everyone know about this, i have tested facebook using Kulacom and Zain and it worked fine, the problem seems from Orange,. however the service seems back now. I ll update the post 1st thing when i wake up :) inshallah

18. ArabCrunch  |  August 21st, 2009 at 12:21 AM #

thanx Yazid :) i ll do my best, plz keep visiting AC commenting and invite ur friends :) I appreciate your nice words :)

19. Omar  |  August 21st, 2009 at 10:47 AM #

I faced the same problem, but I just changed the DNS settings, and that's it !

20. Ali  |  August 21st, 2009 at 10:51 AM #

Guys the problem doesn't exist anymore, I don't know if it's just for me or for everyone !

Omar, What do you mean DNS settings…if i faced the same problem in the future how can i change them ?

21. its me  |  August 21st, 2009 at 3:05 PM #

The problem was from facebook's side, a mis-configuration at DNS settings.
    and it has been solved since 19:00 PM 20-Aug-2009 as per Facebook's CTO.

22. ArabCrunch  |  August 21st, 2009 at 3:10 PM #

he told you so?or u read it some where? if u got his email plz share