Maktoob Upgrades its Business Portal
Since its inspection in around 1997, Maktoob The world’s largest Arab online community, has been focusing in Arabic content. To this date there are few English services within Maktoob.com or Maktoob Group.
Maktoob.com’s relaunched and upgraded English business portal, now called Maktoob Business would be Maktoob’s biggest English service to date.
Maktoob Business focuses on regional and international business related content. The Portal is very rich with content and is divided into 7 channels: BUSINESS, NEWS, MAKTOOBfn, SPORT, PHOTOS, and RESOURCES.
Each Channel has videos from bloombarg and discussion forums. Also a nice feature called News in Numbers: the top mentioned stories in the last 7 days in companies, sector, people and tags.
The news source seems to be the top wires such as Reuters and AFP. However users can comment on each news story and Google map widget will show you the location where the story happened or main effect is.
Here is a break down into what each channel has:
- BUSINESS Channel has sub categories such as Economy, Real Estate Energy, Banking & Investment, Transportation, Industry, Consumer, Culture & Leisure. Etc.
- The MAKTOOBFN includes: Companies, Markets, Commodities. This channel includes market data for FROEX and the regional stock exchanges
- Sports: sports news, I do not know how it is related to business?
- RESOURCES channel includes Polls, recent Events in the region, Company Announcements and jobs.
- NEWS includes: Gulf, Middle East, and South Asia.
- PHOTOS: related to the latest business news in the region.
The design of the site is very nice and much better than before. However one thing I think they need to improve is the search, I tried to find an article that was posted last year but could not find.
Maktoob Business competes with other business regional portals such as Zawya and AmeInfo . From them I see Zawya being in top, as it is easier to navigate and find what you want and has richer content, though many features of Zawya requires paid subscriptions.
Maktoob Business has evolved over time, it was based on Maktoob’s acquisition of a regional business portal (Unfortunately I forgot its name) that used to syndicate companies’ press releases, and used to be run by 2 men.