No current plans to add demographic targeting to Google Adwords.
In an answer to my question whether Google will add demographic targeting to Google Adwords, Elias Darwish Google’s Account Manager MENA ( Middle East and North Africa) region, said that there are no current plans, but he said that in YouTube, google identifies demographic info, for example age groups of certain types of videos, which advertisers can target.
Talking during a seminar titled “The Art of Online Advertising, Adwords and Analytics“ Darwish added that YouTube demographic data is collected from the users profiles and offline studies.
The Seminar which commenced yesterday in Amman-Jordan, was organized by the Queen Rania Center for Entrepreneurship (QRCE) and Google (Do you need a link to goole? then google it ), where Darwish gave an overview of Google’s Adwords and Analytics.
Adwords is a Pay-Per-Click (PPC) self service advertising solution from Google, where advertisers can advertise using text ads displayed on Google search results in context to the keywords they chose after bedding on them. Ads can also be shown on Google partners of publisher and on other search engines such as Ask and AOL.
Adwords which is responsible of most of Google’s revenues( $16.4 billion in 2007 ), has many targeting options, such as language (including Arabic), and country, while in Europe the targeting can be up to the city. Adwords also offers image and video ads with CPM bases.
Google Analytics which ArabCrunch use, is a free service to websites and blogs owners, that offers visitors behavior and analysis.
During the seminar Darwish said that Google’s online human police–the guys who monitor and ban spammers- will be in operation soon in the Arab world, .
Here are some of the other important points Darwish mentioned in the seminar:
- One year ago there were only a couple of thousand of ads on Adwords in the Arab region, but today it has increased dramatically.
- Internet users in Jordan in 2006 was 715 k, in 2008 they will be around 1.4 million.
- Google serves 1 Billion Search Query per day.
- 118 billion email and IM sent per day using Google’s Gmail and GTalk.
- 10 hours video uploads each minute to YouTube.
- Arabic is part of Google’s 40 languages initiative and it ranks 6th.
- Adwords supports Arabic and has a growing publishing partners in the Arab world.
- Click-Through-Rate (CTR) -CTR is ad clicks rate to impressions- for Adwords in the Arab world is over 20%.
- DoubleClick the leading advertising platform which Google bought last year, will be integrated with Adwords.
Darwish also give some Adwords optimizing techniques, for example the advertise should chose keywords relevant to his business and the ad text, and if an advertiser chose many keywords, and his CTR is low he will be charged higher rates.
Google has an algorithm that checks the keyword, the ad’s words, and the words in the landing page of the ad, which all should have matching word.
In the Arab world, Adwords compete with 2 of the regions home grown self service advertising solutions: Kalemat (Arabic for words), from Araby a leading Arabic search engine owned by Maktoob group , and AynaAD from Ayna, the first search engine in the Arab world.